Monday, December 30, 2013

Project 200: Making A Space


True, all we really need to write is paper or a pen, or a computer, but I think having a dedicated writing space is vital in making writing an everyday, lasting habit. 


I’ve just moved to a new apartment and right now I don’t have a space of my own (I’m writing this sitting at the dining room table), but one of my goals before too long is to have a dedicated writing space.

Why is this important? 

1. If you have a writing space, you can start to train your brain that when you are in that spot, you are in writing mode only, no Facebook, no procrastinating, just writing. I use a laptop to do most of my writing, but I found I had problems with being distracted by the internet. I’d go on Facebook, wikipedia, Cracked, check out Tv Tropes, or read a few of my favorite web comics. This was really killing my productivity. So I downloaded Self Control for my Macbook Pro, which temporarily disables your internet. This really helped me stay focused. If you don’t have a Mac, there are tons of similar programs you should be able to find for free for your operating system.

2. It helps you take yourself seriously. I’m sure I’m not the only writer who has fears that they’re not good enough to be a “real” writer, but having a dedicated writing space can help me feel like an actual writer, rather than a little girl playing dress up. 

3. It frees you from interruptions. One of my recommendations for a writer’s space is that it has a door, this is so you can shut yourself off from distractions and interruptions. If you live in a studio apartment with another person you can use a bookshelf as a room divider to create a writing space. If you live with your parents you can put your desk in your bedroom and make a space that way. 

 4. It puts everything you need at your fingertips. By having all your supplies (pens, notebooks, power cord for your laptop) and resources (dictionary, style guides) handy you won’t need to go searching when your pen runs out of ink or your laptop is about to run out of batteries. 

Things You’ll Need:

A door (or a curtain or a corner or, if nothing else. headphones)

A desk (or a door on top of two file cabinets or a laptop tray)
A dictionary (or a dictionary widget/app), thesaurus and whatever other reference material you need

Requirements:

It must be private

It must be comfortable

It must be personalized

But your assignment for this post isn’t just to create a writing space. If writing everyday is a departure from your usual habits, you’re probably going to want to get your family on board and lay down some ground rules. Maybe on some nights you’ll have to have your partner, boy/girlfriend, significant other, boy toy, clone, or robot maid clean up after dinner so you can write. Let your family know how important it is, and learn how to say no to say no to superfluous obligations.

It is true that some days the laundry may stack up, the lawn will remain un-mowed, but your family will understand. You are doing this for you, and both you and your writing are important. 

Here’s how freelance writer and editor C. Hope Clark did it:

“We held a family meeting once I decided to take my writing to heart, and I laid down the rules. First, if my door was shut, nobody knocked unless the house is on fire or they are bleeding profusely. Otherwise, they had to deal with issues themselves, and some nights that might include fixing dinner. I told them that my writing was as important as their school, their sports, and their social lives. Looking back, if I had not been so adamant about the rules, they would not have taken my writing seriously. The respect I gave myself spilled over to them. I learned to let the dirty clothes pile up and my family learned to help out around the house so I could write.”

Author and poet Sage Cohen has more to say on the subject:

“Anything you are doing that limits your time with the people you love is something significant to be held with the highest respect and negotiated carefully. (And of course, the limits you set in framing your availability will be highly variable depending on the age and the needs of the people you care for, as well as the number of other adults available to help you support those needs.)

When you include your family in your writing goals by helping them understand what you are doing and what it means to you, you are far likelier to get buy-in, as well as emotional and practical support. Plus, when the people who love you are also excited about your writing life, it can help make all of you much happier along the way. Ask for help with a smile on your face and you’ll be on your way to establishing a new paradigm for your writing and your family.”

So now that your family is on board, you’ve tracked your writing and have an idea about when you are most productive, all that is left for you to create a writing space for the new year. 

I have plans to add a writing space to my bedroom, I was hoping to have the space completed before the end of the year, but it’ll have to be pushed back a little bit. I’ll post the before and after when I have the space complete!

But in the meantime I got this cool nifty portable lap desk for Christmas. With this ergonomic solution working from the couch, bed or wherever is easy. There are all kinds of ways to make your space. 

Are you having any design dilemmas? Certain that you can’t make a writer’s space fit in your home? Leave a comment and I’m sure we can find a solution together! And always, follow me on Twitter to know when new posts arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment